Skip to main content

Ah the ... :

There are a few running jokes that Mrs. Owl and I bandy back and, ad nauseum. They might not be terribly funny to most people, but they are HI-larious to us.

First, a little backstory. We do enjoy the ultra-popular mega-mass-marketed ultimately low brow comedies that are just 'too popular' to be any good. Yes, I'm talking about 'Friends'. While most hipster-elites turn their noses up at TV in general (or if they do watch, it's either only watching the Bravo Channel or 'Arrested Development'), we embrace things we find amusing.

I know, shocking.

So, in this one episode of Friends, there is this zoo janitor, who makes charming bylines for zoo animals (e.g. "Ahh, the bat. Ambassador of darkness, flitting out of his cave like a winged messenger, sightless spectre of the macabe."). I mean, that's gold.

So that's what we do now. Er, or what Mrs. Owl goads me to do. Some couples do macrame, we do this. Examples,

"Ah the mall security guard, sentinel against retail crime, protector of the fashion consumer, WHITE KNIGHT in the crusade against shoplifting."

"Ah the backyard, gathering place for a neighbourhood community, nexus of social interaction, crossroads in which familial and societal ties are formed and strengthened."

"Ah the pool, great vat of chlorine treated crystal clear leisure, dominion of the life jacketed toddler and awkward adolescent, the modern re-imagining of Romanesque bathhouses.... AH the pool. "

Comments

Monkfish said…
Macrame you say.
Niteowl said…
AAAHHH macrame. That jilted love of all nascent artists, the oft-maligned medium of sculptural talent, that cobbling of the odious paper to erect near-timeless pantheons to aesthetic GENIUS! AHHH macrame.
Unknown said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said…
HILARIOUS. Me and Lady El (am I doing it right?) should give that a try. We're not a verbose as you two seem to be. I have a feeling it may end up like that scene in "So I Married an Axe Murderer" where they're playing the "what's worse" game and Anthony LaPaglia's girlfriend can only come up with "being electrocuted"...

macra-mache?

speaking of which

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-hbIRkbTUY

ElHamTX

edit- ummm I'm new at this...
Niteowl said…
Oh man, I know exactly the scene you're talking about, it's so tragic, yet true. One of the many reasons I avoid socialization IRL.

And let me be clear, Mrs. Owl speaks normally and usually deals with 'interacting with the outside world', it's only me who has never met an overwrought phrase he didn't take a partial hankering to.

Popular posts from this blog

Insults From A Senile Victorian Gentleman

You SIR, have the hygeine of an overly ripe avocado and the speaking habits of a vaguely deranged chess set. I find your manner to be unctuous and possibly libelous, and whatever standard you set for orthodontal care, it's not one I care for. Your choice in news programs is semi-literate at best and I do believe your favourite news anchor writes erotic literature for university mascots. While I'm not one to point out so obvious a failing, there has been rumour that the brunches you host every other Sunday are made with too much lard and cilantro. If you get my meaning. There is something to be said about your choice of motor-car fuel, but it is not urbane and if I were to repeat it, mothers would cover their children's ears and perhaps not a few longshoremen within earshot would blush. How you maintain that rather obscene crease in your trousers and your socks is beyond me, perhaps its also during this time that you cultivate a skin regime that I'm sure requires the dea

Learn A New Thing...

Man, you really do learn a new thing everyday. There have been a few shocking realizations I've had over the past month or so: -bizaare is spelled bizarre (how bizaare) -scythe is pronounced "sithe", not the phonetic way. Which is the way I've been pronouncing it in my head for my whole life. My entire youth spent reading Advanced Thresher Sci-Fi and Buckwheat Fantasy novels, for naught! -George Eliot was a woman, real name Mary Ann Evans. -Terry Gilliam is American. -Robocop is a Criterion Film. I shit you not . -Uhm, oh damn, just after I post this, I find that, this movie is a Criterion film as well . Maybe I don't know what being a Criterion film really entails.. Alright all (three) readers of my blog, post and lemme know some earth shattering facts you've learned recently.

Europe : London Maritime Museum - March 15th

I've never, well I suppose most people don't either, thought of myself as a flat. Despite the fact I rarely go anywhere. Despite the fact that, given my shut in lifestyle I have about as much street smarts as, well, a middle aged programmer who rarely goes out.  But I am a flat, entirely. First step is admitting I have a problem.  On our way to the bus station, and at NO time did I sense any of this, or even have a sense of anyone being very close to me, both the zippers in my bag were opened, and my rather nice down jacket was nicked. Shameful, I know. But, I suppose, bravo on the thiefs, I didn't feel a thing. And well, I suppose we are going to Italy, so, less to pack? It was a certain jet of anger, I suppose, and befuddlement. But I also was so very thankful I had not lost my wallet and/or phone, both which would require hours and hours of hassle and phone calls to set me to rights.  It might be my stoic optimism is a source of my lack of street smarts. But I'm also