Skip to main content

People Who Write Marvellously

It's a rare occasion when I stumble upon a blog that's written so well, I feel that perhaps I've bypassed some payment screen. That unbeknownst to me, I somehow hacked past some credit card requiring site, and am suddenly reading some juicy, marvellously written blog that is only shared among Those In the Know, or perhaps, Those Willing To Use Their Mastercard To Read Good Stuff; as opposed to the general drivel that tends to flood the intertubes: endless posts about cats and kittens, and perhaps aforementioned felines mashed up with the meme-o-the-day.

Now, I'm not sure what the etiquette is for announcing said links. I think if you are of the cool set (and really, if you are wondering if you are, I suppose that means you're not), you simply do not make any reference to it, and only add it to you links (or blogroll, I think is the term). Which is perfectly fine. It's like the cool kid suddenly taking under his wing the slightly odd exchange student from a newly recognized former Soviet Bloc country with the dashing hair and alarming body odour. Nothing is said, it's merely observed by the cooler kids, and the more pathetic teachers, that said exchange student is now under the tutelage of coolness, as it were.

Which is grand. My understanding is most blogs are fairly tightly contained. No need to mention all friends here and sundry at random intervals. That's that good blogs do. Good blogs. This is not one of them. So, of course, I'm going to draw attention to A Big Side Order. A weekly blog about some fellow in the UK who takes walks, and writes gobsmackingly funny posts about it. So good, in fact, I was tempted to never mention him at all. I do not need help to bring in sharp rellief my lackadaisacal style and often times questionable logical flow, not to mention my patchy application of grammar.

But link to him I must. As I, wild and crazy person that I am, felt the need to write him a fan letter of sorts. Which he took as an invitation for him to link to my blog. Which is shocking. Very shocking. Apparently he ignored the part in my email where I suggest he NOT do such a thing. But he's far too high class to not link me. I'm not sure what the etiquette is for linking and the like. So far I've only linked to people I actually know. As opposed to admire. Or admire from afar. Admire unabashedly and slightly stalkerishly, actually. So I've linked back to him. He apparently has even been paid for his non-fictionish writing. So I suppose he's a professional writer.

Anyhoo, so if you enjoy my blog, and want to find out how this sort of thing is really done, head over there, I think he's approximately thirty times more visitors than I have. Give or take a few factors.

Comments

Gareth said…
Indeed this man writes marvelously! Thanks for the link bud. :)
Anonymous said…
i just wanted to note it appears the link in your post has a funny extra character at the end of it that shouldn't be there, and breaks the link. please fixy!

props!
Anonymous said…
hey actually it looks like its blogspot that's throwing in that extra "%27" apostrophe at the end, because when you view the replies and click "show original post," the original article doesn't have this character. good luck figuring this out!
Niteowl said…
NH : cheers! He's certainly teaching me alot in the way of "stop being sloppy", and "put the best prose out on your blog". He just crafts his posts so perfectly!

Funka: Hopefully fixed my good funkariffic!

Popular posts from this blog

Insults From A Senile Victorian Gentleman

You SIR, have the hygeine of an overly ripe avocado and the speaking habits of a vaguely deranged chess set. I find your manner to be unctuous and possibly libelous, and whatever standard you set for orthodontal care, it's not one I care for. Your choice in news programs is semi-literate at best and I do believe your favourite news anchor writes erotic literature for university mascots. While I'm not one to point out so obvious a failing, there has been rumour that the brunches you host every other Sunday are made with too much lard and cilantro. If you get my meaning. There is something to be said about your choice of motor-car fuel, but it is not urbane and if I were to repeat it, mothers would cover their children's ears and perhaps not a few longshoremen within earshot would blush. How you maintain that rather obscene crease in your trousers and your socks is beyond me, perhaps its also during this time that you cultivate a skin regime that I'm sure requires the dea

Europe : Italy Venice Cram Tour - March 23

 The bullet train's only hiccup, thankfully was the text to speech announcer and we made it into Venice. A city hollowed out by AirBnBs and skyrocketing costs of living. Before the pandemic it got approximately the population of Canada in tourists every year. A romantic city, a city that seems only fit for secret agents or heiresses taking a break from the yacht. Thanks for not killing us, pal! It seems that going from Rome to Florence to Venice we've been gradually getting into smaller and more cramped streets with every jump. Rome was tight and packed but at least cars seemed to get up to a fast enough speed to do some real damage to a family of four. Florence, or at least historical Florence where we went had mostly pedestrian ways that grudgingly allowed cars, and most often just seemed to be scooters. Venice is entirely people. People and boats but a boat isn't going to run you over unless you are doing your walking tours, really, almost impressively wrong. One gets th

Europe : London Maritime Museum - March 15th

I've never, well I suppose most people don't either, thought of myself as a flat. Despite the fact I rarely go anywhere. Despite the fact that, given my shut in lifestyle I have about as much street smarts as, well, a middle aged programmer who rarely goes out.  But I am a flat, entirely. First step is admitting I have a problem.  On our way to the bus station, and at NO time did I sense any of this, or even have a sense of anyone being very close to me, both the zippers in my bag were opened, and my rather nice down jacket was nicked. Shameful, I know. But, I suppose, bravo on the thiefs, I didn't feel a thing. And well, I suppose we are going to Italy, so, less to pack? It was a certain jet of anger, I suppose, and befuddlement. But I also was so very thankful I had not lost my wallet and/or phone, both which would require hours and hours of hassle and phone calls to set me to rights.  It might be my stoic optimism is a source of my lack of street smarts. But I'm also