Skip to main content

Europe : London to Italy - March 16

 Last day in London. Owlet and I are the chief suffers of foot pain on our hikes out and about, and I'm convinced it's because we have the most worn out shoes. So we have to go to a posh running shoe store, the only shoe store nearby, but given the neighbourhood this B+B is in, it's posh. It's one of those places that takes running as a lifestyle, not merely something dimly remembered with growing horror from high school class. 

You know it's posh when it has a name brand you've never heard at prices you'd only pay for brands you HAVE heard of. Then there are other indicators, repetively mentioning the word 'gait', or 'pronating', or really any word that you've only heard from a sports commentator during the Olympics when someone has had a spill and they are decribing why the althletes joints are now moving in directions that are not entirely natural.

We do get somewhat posh runners, there really isn't much of a choice, really. Prices are not family friendly, but anything allay the foot pain while we wander through europe, Mrs. Owl's fitbit blaring warnings like klaxons over London under the Blitz.

We then squeeze ourselves into the National History Museum. With the geology and evolution rooms, and dinosaurs and birds and all manner of well preserved taxidermy. It's a particularly busy day, it's as if every nearby school has decided this is the day for a field trip. As well as every family with small children, every group of tourists. 


It's a torrent of people constantly pushing forward forward. This is a plaque-reading hostile group. Any slight slow down, and ambling will be met with huffs and perhaps a grumpy glare. We are not so much touring the place as being swept along the flood of people. 


Everyone taking pictures of interesing things as they pass, presumable to digest later, like we are all a bunch of intellectual cows, chewing up the grass of information, later to be called up and chewed upon. 

I imagine it'll be more like a bleary review through the photo scroll in a few days, wondering why you have 15 pictures of various unidentified, and unidentifiable skeletons, taken under dim light and rushed by the crowd behind to keep moving. Where were we moving to is anyone's guess. 

The halls were magnificent though, and the plaques, at least the ones I read were suitably plaquey, interesting tidbits to ponder later. One was about the various physiological oddities of dinosaurs and how they could support warm or cold bloodness. Rather nerdy, but you don't come to the Natural History museum to support your local sports team or bet on the ponies.

The shoes are working better, but are not a miracle, standing still is not recommended, walking helps quite a bit though. 

We whirlwind through the museum and make our way to the airport. And now are waiting our departure to Italy.

A few passing random thoughts

- I suppose I am a tapwater snob, I think the water in BC is the best there is and pretty much everywhere I go the tapwater is subpar. London is no exception. However it does have this weird feature where they don't seem to have water savers on their spouts. No aeration of the flow to reduce the wasting of freshwater. It's just a solid tube of water that splashes out of the faucets. I assume because the majority of the faucets were made before conservation was even an issue, and I suppose it does rain rather a lot here.


- I was, I think the only person with a graphic t-shirt on. I'm even counting the children in this. Something something England is rather formal and/or I'm a stunted manchild.

- Almost everywhere we walk it's equivalent amount of traffic we'd see in Canada in the street directly outside a stadium after a game ends. Just an endless flow of humanity. 

- Everyone j-walks, but traffic lights are someone obscure and not clear in the slightest. Add to that the very unique side the Brits drive on, and well.There are little signs "LOOK RIGHT" handpainted everywhere we went. Save me from a decent maiming if not outright death a few times.


- Given how I am a flat, I'm slightly anxious about going to Italy. I'll consider it a triumph if we make it back without me somehow refinancing my home to finance a 3 card monte debt.  It's perhaps my overcautious self but the stories of pickpockets and all sorts of thievery happening in Italy might make for tragically fascinating blogging later.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Insults From A Senile Victorian Gentleman

You SIR, have the hygeine of an overly ripe avocado and the speaking habits of a vaguely deranged chess set. I find your manner to be unctuous and possibly libelous, and whatever standard you set for orthodontal care, it's not one I care for. Your choice in news programs is semi-literate at best and I do believe your favourite news anchor writes erotic literature for university mascots. While I'm not one to point out so obvious a failing, there has been rumour that the brunches you host every other Sunday are made with too much lard and cilantro. If you get my meaning. There is something to be said about your choice of motor-car fuel, but it is not urbane and if I were to repeat it, mothers would cover their children's ears and perhaps not a few longshoremen within earshot would blush. How you maintain that rather obscene crease in your trousers and your socks is beyond me, perhaps its also during this time that you cultivate a skin regime that I'm sure requires the dea

Learn A New Thing...

Man, you really do learn a new thing everyday. There have been a few shocking realizations I've had over the past month or so: -bizaare is spelled bizarre (how bizaare) -scythe is pronounced "sithe", not the phonetic way. Which is the way I've been pronouncing it in my head for my whole life. My entire youth spent reading Advanced Thresher Sci-Fi and Buckwheat Fantasy novels, for naught! -George Eliot was a woman, real name Mary Ann Evans. -Terry Gilliam is American. -Robocop is a Criterion Film. I shit you not . -Uhm, oh damn, just after I post this, I find that, this movie is a Criterion film as well . Maybe I don't know what being a Criterion film really entails.. Alright all (three) readers of my blog, post and lemme know some earth shattering facts you've learned recently.

Europe : London Maritime Museum - March 15th

I've never, well I suppose most people don't either, thought of myself as a flat. Despite the fact I rarely go anywhere. Despite the fact that, given my shut in lifestyle I have about as much street smarts as, well, a middle aged programmer who rarely goes out.  But I am a flat, entirely. First step is admitting I have a problem.  On our way to the bus station, and at NO time did I sense any of this, or even have a sense of anyone being very close to me, both the zippers in my bag were opened, and my rather nice down jacket was nicked. Shameful, I know. But, I suppose, bravo on the thiefs, I didn't feel a thing. And well, I suppose we are going to Italy, so, less to pack? It was a certain jet of anger, I suppose, and befuddlement. But I also was so very thankful I had not lost my wallet and/or phone, both which would require hours and hours of hassle and phone calls to set me to rights.  It might be my stoic optimism is a source of my lack of street smarts. But I'm also