Skip to main content

A Few Changes

So I hacked into the CSS for this erstwhile beautiful template to make it all my own. Decidely craptastic and the victim of a geek thinking he can make stuffs look nice. (here's a hint why that's bad, programmers designed Frontpage, as well as, I'm sure, not a few of the American Cars on the road today (honestly, Pontiac Aztec, you can't tell me that wasn't thrown together by a bunch of engineers from MIT after a power failure wiped out the amazing design the actual designers had spent months doing. It honestly looks like someone made a car out of one of those fudge chunks you see at fairs. Or, just as easily, those MOUNTAINS OF CHOCOLATE that used to be portrayed in the DQ commercials).

But hey, I wanted to make this my own, so there you have it. I also bought the domain www.periodically.org, so now you can tell all your friends you read Periodically.org, not some random effusive ramblings of a writer wannabe who couldn't get Niteowl as a blogger URL so got THEniteowl.

Geez louise, uncool even in the nerdosphere.

Anyhoo, someone remind me to post a buncha links to some very very funny stuffs on the internets that the average non-nerd might not know about.

Oh, well, it's not really that much of a bother, here are two, at least.

The first one is a doozy. Alright, in the programmer world, new languages pop up, 'cool' ones, ones that do neat things very cleanly, or do old things in new ways, or do new things in old ways the way current languages should have done them. Before you all go comatose, I'll try and huck an analogy your way.

Let's say you got this saw right? Ok, that's your current programming language. It cuts stuff, and stuff. It does it's job. Then along comes another tool, this is a jig saw. It's lighter, it can cut through fricking coping for god's sake, it's pretty dark cool. It can also be hanged (hung? shit, I'm so using this word the wrong way) in your workspace much easier. And then along comes the black and decker jigsaw cordless thingamadoohickey. And it's even better. So there is a natural progression of languages. Some are made to be very cool. At least from a coder's perspective.

Ruby is such a language. I won't bore you with details except to note that the more or less official manual for Ruby is this, written by some fella by the name of why. Yes, why. Yes, it's the sort of name that will inspire many "Who's on second?" type of discussions. I have neither the talent nor the inkling to go down that way.

So anyhoo, this fella is super popular. In the blogosphere, I think he would actually be completely out of mine. He'd be the sort who'de be invited to conventions just on his blog. Luminaries in tech would quote him, or reference him in witty Silicon Valley banter. He's that cool. But that's besides the point. My point here is that the guy is a bloody genius. Bordering on completely insane due to his truly awesome sense of absurd humour, but there you have it, love him.

He's like Robin Williams and Bill Watterson's love child with a little genetic splicing with Salvatore Dali and maybe a pinch of pure, brazen, wild eyed and heroin induced madness. He's that good.

And the second is.. Well, it's nerdy within nerd. I'm not even sure if an analogy would work here. If I know you in real life, and we meet up for some social event, I'll explain it to you. If you are nerdy enough, then let me just say one word "Penultima".

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Insults From A Senile Victorian Gentleman

You SIR, have the hygeine of an overly ripe avocado and the speaking habits of a vaguely deranged chess set. I find your manner to be unctuous and possibly libelous, and whatever standard you set for orthodontal care, it's not one I care for. Your choice in news programs is semi-literate at best and I do believe your favourite news anchor writes erotic literature for university mascots. While I'm not one to point out so obvious a failing, there has been rumour that the brunches you host every other Sunday are made with too much lard and cilantro. If you get my meaning. There is something to be said about your choice of motor-car fuel, but it is not urbane and if I were to repeat it, mothers would cover their children's ears and perhaps not a few longshoremen within earshot would blush. How you maintain that rather obscene crease in your trousers and your socks is beyond me, perhaps its also during this time that you cultivate a skin regime that I'm sure requires the dea

Europe : Italy Venice Cram Tour - March 23

 The bullet train's only hiccup, thankfully was the text to speech announcer and we made it into Venice. A city hollowed out by AirBnBs and skyrocketing costs of living. Before the pandemic it got approximately the population of Canada in tourists every year. A romantic city, a city that seems only fit for secret agents or heiresses taking a break from the yacht. Thanks for not killing us, pal! It seems that going from Rome to Florence to Venice we've been gradually getting into smaller and more cramped streets with every jump. Rome was tight and packed but at least cars seemed to get up to a fast enough speed to do some real damage to a family of four. Florence, or at least historical Florence where we went had mostly pedestrian ways that grudgingly allowed cars, and most often just seemed to be scooters. Venice is entirely people. People and boats but a boat isn't going to run you over unless you are doing your walking tours, really, almost impressively wrong. One gets th

Europe : London Maritime Museum - March 15th

I've never, well I suppose most people don't either, thought of myself as a flat. Despite the fact I rarely go anywhere. Despite the fact that, given my shut in lifestyle I have about as much street smarts as, well, a middle aged programmer who rarely goes out.  But I am a flat, entirely. First step is admitting I have a problem.  On our way to the bus station, and at NO time did I sense any of this, or even have a sense of anyone being very close to me, both the zippers in my bag were opened, and my rather nice down jacket was nicked. Shameful, I know. But, I suppose, bravo on the thiefs, I didn't feel a thing. And well, I suppose we are going to Italy, so, less to pack? It was a certain jet of anger, I suppose, and befuddlement. But I also was so very thankful I had not lost my wallet and/or phone, both which would require hours and hours of hassle and phone calls to set me to rights.  It might be my stoic optimism is a source of my lack of street smarts. But I'm also